Wednesday 3 July 2013

Let them grow up





When I got married, it was because I had found the man who could tolerate my idiosyncrasies, live with my whims and respect my dreams. I wanted to grow old with this man. Now, in my 30s with a 6-month old baby sleeping next to me, I can't wait to grow old once again and see what my son grows up to be.

Kinda weird, you would think that I am talking of letting go of these 'cuddle-me' moments, some absolutely delightful days when my lil boy does a new activity in lieu of getting old! Let me explain. I know that it kills to see your lil bugs grow up. But I guess it would kill you quicker if they didn't. 

It's been just 6-months as a mother and everything my boy does, practically, blows my mind. And yet I know there's nothing out of ordinary that he's doing which other kids of his age don't. But I can't stop but day dream about how he would look when he's older? Would I be able to handle a strapping teenage boy? And then an adult man with his own family! I want to see all of this. Seeing your child growing before your eyes can be hard, they say, because you want to keep him or her small forever.

I say let them grow up and see how they make you proud. Today only you, your family and friends know how 'cute' or 'adorable' your baby is. But when he/she grows up and becomes a worthy human being, you will have strangers telling you good things about your baby. Imagine the pride you would feel then. 

Your child will grow up but no matter what, you’ll always be mommy/daddy.

That's why I can't wait to see my child develop his own personality, to re-explore the world through his eyes and learn things from this little person that I and my husband have created. I want to end this blog with this lovely thought that I came across. Read it slowly and once you have read it, read it again.

It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. ~Joyce Maynard


No comments: