Tuesday 9 March 2010

The day I became an 'aunty'

I am 28 years-old, married and this makes me 'old' by Indian standards. And women folk (peers)around me ensure that I am aware of my age.

In Mumbai, where people in your building don't believe in spending time knowing each other because it's just wastage of time, I too joined the cult of 'unknown neighbors' when I moved 2 years back to the city. Having changed by house twice already I (and my husband) are ignorant about other families living on the same floor.

We do run into one of the couples now and then in corridors but there's no chance to engage in a lengthy introductions since singular lift on the floor (accommodates just 4) ensures that only couples (with their little ones) use the lift by themselves.

But this did not happen on Saturday, when I found myself with a 3-year old Mrigank and his mom (whom I saw closely for the first time; we are separated by a concrete wall). It happened as following:

Me: (in lift, pressed the button to my floor; mentally recalling the veggies I had in my fridge that could go in veg stew)

Just as lift doors are about to shut, this kid hops in and holds the door for his mom who is pants in after him, carrying a sand bucket and toy shovel.

I smile at the kid, my best smile.

Kid: (looks back at mom and chirps) Maammy, aunty is smiling.

My smile dropped at word 'aunty.' How dare that runt call me aunty, was the first thought that blazed through my head.

The Maammy looks at me, smiles and tells her kid: Mrigank, say hello to Aunty.

That woman actually encouraged the kid to call me 'Aunty'.

Kid: Aunty, what is in the bag? (pointing towards my paper bag that had some latest mags and books)

Me: (recovering from the shock) Err, aa...it has my books. (mentally cursing the lift that seemed to take forever to reach to the 10th floor)

Kid: (turning to his mom) Maammy, is Aunty in school?

Maammy: (clearly enjoying her role) No beta. Aunty goes to office...like Papa.

Ping...the lift reached tenth floor and I jump out.

Kid follows to my door: Aunty, why do you go to school on Saturday?

He had a point! But I didn't want to be a part of his conversation anymore. I wanted to escape and the key refused to come out of my purse, giving the kid ample time to drill me with questions - all starting with the tag, 'AUNTY'

No wonder people in Mumbai don't mingle, as they don't want to to be told or realise how old or ancient they are becoming while running life's rat race. I am a part of the Mumbai crowd and I dont want to be told that I am now an 'Aunty'. My graduation from a 'didi' to 'aunty' happened in the lift ride!

16 comments:

Shrinidhi Hande said...

I know it is a most dreaded word.. but what do you think will be the most suitable alternate word the kid could have used?

Unknown said...

'Didi' or at least the mother could have corrected the kid...

No woman wants to age at 28, and I am no different

Sandesh Advani said...

well said "aunty" :)

Unknown said...

@Sandesh: Oh shut up...the kid will surely label you as 'dada bhai'

Sandesh Advani said...

dada... that's perfectly fine with me

After all dada means "elder brother" :)

Unknown said...

@Sandesh: excuse me dada = granpa...

bhai is the terms that sindhi folks use for any relation and that's why i added that for your own ease...blive me you definitely look ancient to any kid of that size...

Shrinidhi Hande said...

Also you've revealed your age, many people prefer not to right...

Unknown said...

@Shrinidhi: Exactly..that's to put out a point that at 28 there's no way you can be deemed as an aunty (by any standard)

I am not afraid of my age or ageing process persay, but branding as an aunt is so last generation

Shrinidhi Hande said...

Ok, try this- get another kid in the apartment complex call Mrigank's Mom as "Aunty"-may be she'll get the message?

Unknown said...

@Shrinidhi: It was traumatic enough to have one kid label me off an aunty...but i dont want to put the lady through the same.

Second, I just dont know anyone in my society :)

Shrinidhi Hande said...

Ok. Appreciate the spirit...

May be we can ask Manmohan singh to amend the Women's bill to add some provision that a lady shouldn't be called Aunty below certain age limit?

Rajeshwari said...

PJ ur still 28??

s said...

hahahahahaha....well you will surely be an aunty some day. So what if its a bit early. Though the word is certainly dreaded, the kid does not have an option. For kids these days didi is someone who is elder by a few years (4-5yrs). And you don't fit in that. :)

Unknown said...

the last comment (I translated to see what was it exactly goes like this)
"The article is really good to see you happy "

Unknown said...

Nice article like it .... I feel it is Common to see that Mother teacher there Kids wrong Information in the growing stage..

Unknown said...

seem to be getting some interest from chinese ... here's the translation to above

^^ 謝謝你的分享,祝你生活永遠多彩多姿!
^ ^ Thank you for sharing, I wish you a colorful life forever!